Had Midway planned a reboot of MK for long time?

artexerxes101
Mortal

Had Midway planned a reboot of MK for long time?

Post by artexerxes101 »

The most recent MK game is a reboot of the series. Even though the game was released in 2011, I read that in 2007 they were planning on making a reboot, which was less than a year after MK: Armageddon was released, the "last" game. The idea for a reboot was hardly a new idea.

What I was wondering was whether the developers had planned out the reboot in advanced. After all, the storylines for MK: Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon were closely tied together, with each game taking place right after another. In other words, they had planned out each game in advance. Since the idea for a reboot came pretty early, right after Armageddon was released, I was wondering whether it was planned along with the other three games and Armageddon being used as a buffer to facilitate a reboot. Plus, I never really liked the idea of rebooting the games (please have mercy!), and I'd just like to know the whole story behind the choice.

It'd be helpful if someone who's worked with Midway or at least someone who's familiar with the whole development of the games answer this question, since I want to know the official reason.

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: Had Midway planned a reboot of MK for long time?

Post by Gambid »

It's a difficult question. The developers aways discuss tons of ideas.

The fact is, the development team was working on Mortal Kombat 8, a truw Mortal Kombat game for the next generation systems, when they were approached by someone from their Marketics division with the idea about a DC Universe cross over game. This is basically what we know as Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe.

We don't really have information about how far in the development of Mortal Kombat 8 the team was at the time.

The whole idea of a reboot or restart or whatever you would like to call it is definitely hinted in Armageddon yes.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)”