Mortal Kombat 9 online taktiks

Lou Zephyr
Mortal

Mortal Kombat 9 online taktiks

Post by Lou Zephyr »

I was feelling about writing down some online-exp. i have gained so far. I am no pro but i would say that i am above average, i played every MK, i am that guy that beats all his friends at MK. These are my expieriences so far and they work fine for me and yeah it's obviously mostly influenced by me, durr, some of them may seem very simple or even very very simple to you, cause then you maybe are allready trained in online MK, these are basics and basic tequnikes, but enough of this **** let's get started:

MORTAL KOMBAT ONLINE TAKTIKS

0. BEFORE YOU START

1. ALWAYS IMPORTANT
1.1 -Do always use "hidden cursor"
1.2 -Choose your favorite map
1.3 -Avoid the corners
1.4 -X-rays are overrated
1.5 -Opening / First move
1.6 -Almost dead
1.7 -Think like Shao Kahn
1.8 -Don't be a pussy
1.9 -Try not, or even better, do not write any offensive messages
1.10 -At KOTH never give 0 points
1.11 -Play the arcade ladder of MK II on medium - very hard, if you want to get really angry

2. DEFENSES / COUNTERS AGAINST SPAMMING & CHEESING
2.1 -Sheeva's wonderful Tele-stomp-spam
2.2 -Raiden's super-duper Superman spam

3. WHICH CHAR IS GOOD AGAINST WHICH CHARS
3.1 -SEKTOR is good against SUB-ZERO

4. IDEAS & MISC.

-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-

(MK)-HERE ARE SOME AWESOME PRO TUTORIALS, CHECK EM OUT OR DIE IN KOMBAT!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MK9Online

-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-(MK)-

0. BEFORE YOU START:

(MK)-Be sure you play the best character for you. You feel it by playing with that char, it's a flow, everything runs smoothly, you can also achieve this by practicing with that char, it is very important that you can react the right way with your char, i've seen so many players, they just can one combo-line, and trying to spam them all the time, but once you've "read" them, they just go down, even if you've lost the first round, they've often even wasted their full rage-meter.
If you just loose over and over again to the same char, then go to practice and fight against hardest KI with this char or ask one player you've lost to to practice with you.
It is important for victory to be able to vary your playstyle and also to "read" and react with your char, it isn't enough to just know a few combo-lines and special-moves.

Then if you found the appropriate char for you, find a second one and play some 2vs2, by that you can gain so much exp. and get a lot better in 1vs1.

1. ALWAYS IMPORTANT:

(MK)-1.1 -Do always use "hidden cursor" while selecting your fighter by pressing SQUARE or X.

Why? Cause it gives your opponent an advantage, this is MORTAL KOMBAT, you ARE NOT supposed to give your opponent any advantage!
You don't show your cards at poker either, until showdown, so ALWAYS use "hidden cursor" and hope that your opponent won't use it!

But if your opponent chooses his fighter before you, you can screw that and just take your fighter. But if you know who you are going to face in battle and your opponent doesn't, you have an advantage!

If you lost track of your hidden cursor then make it visible and invisble again, happens to the best :roll:

--

(MK)-1.2 -Choose your favorite map! While selecting your char (at ranked matches it's random, on normal matches you got it if you challenge someone) you are able to press TRIANGLE / Y to choose one stage, choose your favorite one and if it's an old-school stage, from earlier MK's then you can by pressing START instead of X / A change the music to the original sound-ambiente from the earlier MK's, you hear SHAO KAHN laughing when it works.

Why should you do this? Cause you can.

--

(MK)-1.3 -Get out of the corner! Try to avoid beeing in one of the corners, if you've ever been in the situation of beeing locked in the corner you know what i mean, so just avoid the corners, try to grapple your opponent and throw him into the corner if possible.

--

(MK)-1.4 -DO NOT use X-RAYS, that much, they are not as good as they seem, only do them if you are TOTALLY sure to land it and if it wins the round. (i am working on a video which shows some very simple unblockable x-ray-chains). OR use it if you are TOTALLY sure that you don't need it anyway, cause your opponent is obviously much weaker than you.

BUT it's most of the time better to use a COMBO-BREAKER or ENHANCED-SPECIAL-MOVE with the saved energy. You can do more damage with good placed enhanced moves than one x-ray.

And the best point against using x-rays is: THERE IS ALWAYS THE CHANCE THAT IT WILL FAIL! and then your most delicious energy is all gone and you are propably screwed, so just use x-rays if you you're going to land it by 99%-100%

--

(MK)-1.5 -The Opening IS important, who lands the first hit gets 1/3 of rage-meter (idk if it's called like that, but you know what i mean).
The 1st opening is more important than the 2nd, at the 2nd you DO NOT get any rage filled up and you propably know / got used to the style of your opponent, so what is a good way to start the round? These are very common.

You can try to land a jump-kick, but i do not recommend it, for me it didn't work well at the 1st opener, cause it needs only a well timed uppercut on your toe and you missed the first hit.
There is also the chance that your opponent is doing a jump-kick too, if you have a char which is able to do an air-throw, DO NOT do it, i made the exp. that a well timed jump-kick can be faster.
At 2nd opening a jumpkick can be a good choice, it depends on your oppent, if he blocked 1st opening, he will prop. block again, it's up to you, you will get a feeling for this, but as i said, i don't recommend it on the 1st opening.

You can do a fast walk in and grapple, but as above, this would be a better 2nd opener, cause if your opponent blocks at the 1st opener, he will prop. do it on 2nd, then you have a good chance to land a grapple.

If your char can do a tele-punch you can jump forward or backwarts and do the tele-punch in mid-low air, there you have the chance that your opponent will stop blocking, but this is very common and most of the players will suspect this move and they will be able to block it, you can try it on the 2nd opener.

What best worked for me as 1st opener is, 1 fast step backwards and down + block, cause this can be easily extended to some 1st opener counters.
The opponent sees that you step back and block, so you kind of did your first move, most players did an action when i did this, but it can happen too that he does the same or even nothing, but let's say he does something...
He jump-kicks at the same time you stepped back, you blocked it or went out of range by stepping back, then players like to uppercut you, cause they think you will do the same, you can try it, but it would be better to press BACK + CIRCLE / B, some players will also try the same, but in this case you would be faster if you time it well, maybe he is down and blocks, in that case repeat, most players don't suspect a second try, you also can do a close-range kick as you are down, twice.
Stepping back and block at the opener gives you a better position and you can block almost anything, except for some moves (grapple, tele-stomp, some kicks...), you also can see what your opponent is doing, he is kind of forced to, he needs 2 fast steps forward to get to you, remember that too.

BUT AS I SAID these are just my exp. so far, and these points i've written down are working fine or aren't working fine for me, so this is no guarantee that they will work at every player.

--

(MK)-1.6 -One of you or even both are almost dead, it just takes ANY hit, in this case you should be on the run. Remember, in that case, if it only will take any hit, it is USELESS to block, cause any hit really kills you. If your opponent is in that situation and you just want to end the match, you easily can, even if he blocks. You will get a feeling for this, and remember, even if you block you get damaged.

--

(MK)-1.7 -Think like Shao Kahn, because he is a motherf*****g a*****e!!!

If your opponent always falls for the same special move or taktik, why won't use it until he finally get's it or dies.

But this is spamming! Yeah kind of, but let me explain:
A good MK player has the ability to "read" their opponent, for example "Scorpion/Sektor/Smoke... seems to jump backwards, opponent thinks he is just jumping backwards and walks towards or anything, Scorpion/Sektor/Smoke uses tele-punch while jumping backwards", simple taktik, often used at the beginning of playing against other human players.

If you don't get it after the 2nd or 3rd time, then you deserve to get a**kicked, cause this is MORTAL KOMBAT, if your opponent is at least an average player he will get it and will never/not so often fall for it.

A perfect fight would look like this... (LAS VEGAS 2011 TOURNAMENT FINAL)

I know, i crapped myself too when i saw this the first time, what you didn't? ok, let's move on...

--

(MK)-1.8 -DO NOT rage-quit, it's bad for your points, your prestige and for satan's sake, this is F-ING MORTAL KOMBAT, there are no rules! You can even bring a gun to the fight!
Take it like a man and get killed, if you don't then "IT'S OFFICIAL. YOU SUCK!"
I wonder if rage-quitters also rage-quit on arcade-ladder?

If someone beats you, he was better than you or you had bad luck, even if he uses cheap pathetic moves but wins, try to counter it, (i myself lost a few times to sheeva's awesome spam, until i've figured an almost save counter out, i was sooooooo jarated off! I admit, i hate loosing to such people, but i've never rage-squirted), if you loose, don't be a pussy.

which leads me to the next point...

(MK)-1.9 -TRY NOT TO/DO NOT write any offensive messages to any players, even if he won by the cheapest way, JUST TRY TO COUNTER IT UNTIL YOU CAN COUNTER IT, if you recieve an awesome message like : "lol noob spam" or any other intelligent messages, just write "cool story bro" back and block him, DO NOT FEED THE D**KLESS TROLL! Hope to meet him again in MORTAL KOMBAT! and then "FINISH HIM!"

If you have REALLY enjoyed the fight and you feel like it, doesn't matter if it was a WIN or LOSS, write the other player a personal message with "gg" (good game), that's all, you can also write if you've lost against a pro (if you feel like it) "you are very good", but only if you REALLY feel like it. But you often will get a message with a compliment or positive/useful kritik about your fight-style back too.

--

(MK)-1.10 -At koth (king of the hill) NEVER give 0 points, everybody at least deserves 1 point, cause he won, no matter how, giving 0 points is just pathetic.

--

(MK)-1.11 -If you ever wanna face real a-holes in mortal kombat, just play the arcade ladder of MK II on medium - very hard, there you really will get your face smashed. So there is almost everytime a way to counter a move / chain ect., even if it's cheap and even if it's awesome, just practice practice practice.

---

2. DEFENSES / COUNTERS AGAINST SPAMMING & CHEESING:

If you find yourself in a fight with a spamming / cheesing human, try to stay cool, figure his pattern out and strike against his weak point, find out when you are able to avoid his spam and strike back, even if you loose 1 round, or even if you loose the whole match, next time you know more against this pathetic technike.
He will fail later and fall back to the beginning. You will keep practicing and get better, you will learn to react to different situations with your char, you will learn counters and the weaknesses of the other chars.
The spammer will keep going on with his spamm-cheese until he gets beaten up by a guy which knows this s**t. He will fail and fail and fail, cause no one will fall for this AWESOME ADVANCED tequnike anymore, at this point he then cries "[MK FIGHTER] is so underpowered, i will never play again if you don't fix, all others are so overpowered *cry* *cry* *cry*..." or hopefully he sees that this is just stupid and then he needs to start all over again, choose new fighter, practice ... and then if satan really loves you, you get the chance to face this guy in MORTAL KOMBAT again.

(MK)-2.1 -Sheeva's wonderful Tele-stomp-spam:

If play against a player which took "Sheeva" as fighter, you can say by 90% that he is using this AWESOME ADVANCED tequnike.

Rounds starts, Sheeva uses tele-stomp, you CAN'T block this move so as you see sheeva doing this, use "fast step forward / backwards" by double-pressing the direction, only 1 or 2 steps, as she comes down WATCH OUT she will an uppercut by 90% which is somehow faster than any of your shortranged attacks, so use a "shoot" (missle, energy ball...) if you can time it well or press BACK and CIRCLE / B to make her land on her beautiful tarkan face, repeat this until her AWESOME ADVANCED brain figures out that this failed and repeats the whole process again.
So do the same, repeat the progress : BACKSTEP - WATCHING OUT FOR HER ATTACK - USING MID-RANGE ATTACK - REPEAT (she then will probably do the same, coming down and pressing BACK and CIRCLE / B, but if you press it when she is reachable you will be faster)

Don't block to long! She will come and grapple, which you are of course doing as well.

When her "X-RAY" is full she will use her x-ray move as she gets the chance, so try to jump as often you can, when you are standing on the ground you are skrewed, she will then be at ultimate rage when she fails and will use her AWESOME ADVANCED technike again, and always try to be on the move and don't try anything funny or you will end up by standing and waiting at the "FINISH HIM / HER" screen for the fatality, but instead she is having some kind of seizures, cause she doesn't know any other kombination then up/down and uppercut, so you just fall down and she will win.

--

(MK)-2.2 -Raiden's super-duper Superman spam:

If play against a player which took "Raiden" as fighter, you can say by ?% (idk. it can happen) that he is using this AWESOME ADVANCED tequnike.

Round starts, Raiden uses his cool flying superman move and flies towards you, just block and DON'T uppercut him then. Why? Cause in about 90% you will fail cause he isn't reachable with an uppercut, so just try to press BACK and CIRCLE / B to make him land on his visage, repeat this until his AWESOME ADVANCED brain figures out that this failed and repeats the whole process again. Vary your counter and ONLY try to uppercut if you are sure you are going to hit him, cause sometimes it happened to me that he landed just 1 step away, a mid-range attack would be the safer choice.

If you pushed him back, DON'T do anything but block! Why? Cause if raiden lands on the ground he will be ALMOST ALWAYS faster with his AWESOME ADVANCED tequnike than you with anything, so just block and repeat.
Don't let him get to close and as always, don't block to long! He will come and grapple or do some s**t else, if he blocks, try grapple him.

Also watch out if he is doing the tele-grapple-spam (teleport and grapple), so beware and don't let him get to close.

---

3. WHICH CHAR IS GOOD AGAINST WHICH CHARS:

Before that i want to point out which chars i faced the most in online kombat:
Scorpion, Ermac, Sub-Zero, Noob, Smoke, Cyrax, Kung-Lao, Reptile, Kitana.

These are common too, but less than above:
Kabal, Liu Kang, Sheeva, Raiden, Sonya, Sheeva, Quan Chi, Sindel, Mileena, Johnny Cage.

The remaining ones i've seen not often:
Nightwolf, Jade, Sonya, Jax, Kano, Stryker (never seen in 1vs1), Baraka, Kratos, Cyber Sub-Zero.

(MK)-3.1 -SEKTOR is good against SUB-ZERO:

With Sektor you can keep Sub-Zero away from you, if he tries to freeze you, use the long time until the shoot comes near you to do the tele-puch by pressing DOWN, FORWARD + CIRCLE / B, if this succeeds give him an uppercut and get backwards, cause he will probably do an slide towards you, so just go back and press down and block.
Most Sub-Zero players i've met so far did have at least average - awesome combos, so always keep the distance, Sub-Zero can be very deadly if he is at close range.
Sub-Zero hardly can do anything against a rocket-spam by pressing BACK, FORWARD + SQUARE / X or DOWN, BACK + X / A, if he slides towards you, he gets a rocket in the face, if he tries to freeze you, do the rocket-punch, and always try to keep the distance, if he gets at mid-range, use your roasting device BACK, FORWARD + TRIANGLE / Y
Oh, and try to avoid his beautiful ice-sculptures of him self.

---

4. IDEAS & MISC.:

-While you challenging other players in those rooms, i would be awesome if there would be chance to get anyhow transformed into GORO / KINTARO / SHAO KAHN before the fight starts, randomly or maybe you can work towards it.
Or maybe if you win 10 koth, games, "[PS-ID] has transformed into GORO".

-I am terribly missing an online "TEST YOUR LUCK", why didn't they include it in online mode? This would be awesome!

SHARE YOUR ONLINE EXP. HERE TOO!

Theese are the things and expiriences which i want to share and i will add more points and stuff, i am currently working on a youtube vid which shows some very simple unblockable x-rays. Maybe you think, "that's just stupid, i know that", yeah maybe you, there are many MK newbies out there, but i am always open for critic if this was helpful or not.
Also share your exp. here which works good for you! :mrgreen:

(oh, and sorry if my english isn't right, i am from austria :D )

my steam-profile
Last edited by Lou Zephyr on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:27 am, edited 24 times in total.

thx to XanXic
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: Mortal Kombat 9 online taktiks

Post by Gambid »

Hi, nice job. Let me Sticky this topic for you, so that it may attract more people.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Tiago7
Warrior
PSN: CruzY2J
XBox Live: Cruz 666

Post by Tiago7 »

nice job man loved it
We are many you are but one
Lou Zephyr
Mortal

Post by Lou Zephyr »

Gambid wrote:Hi, nice job. Let me Sticky this topic for you, so that it may attract more people.
Tiago7 wrote:nice job man loved it
thx! :D

thx to XanXic
mk master 365
Grand Master
Side: Darkness
PSN: w2gMk

Post by mk master 365 »

good tactics!

I see alo of people doing nothing but spin dashes with kabal alot of times or the chop chop blades of baraka.... makes me sad...
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
sub-zero9
Master

Post by sub-zero9 »

Very good tactics but they are copied from another MK forum.Except if it's the same guy.

VENGEANCE WILL BE MINE!
Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

It is the same person who posted it.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
LordSpleach
Mortal
PSN: FANSMEGINGTASTIC

Post by LordSpleach »

Been a while since I've played MK9, but I've found with Kintaro's stomp, I found I could just do a jump punch(↑ + 1) at the right time to stop it. I don't know if this works against Sheeva, mainly cause me and my friends don't play her and I never fought her online(Funny how she always got buffed with new patches). Can anyone see if this works?
MoDuL
Apprentice
Side: Darkness

Post by MoDuL »

Nice post by the way Sheeva is not tarkatan but Shokan.
Scorpionsv
Mortal
PSN: N/A
XBox Live: N/A

Post by Scorpionsv »

I always win with Scorpion thanks to his moves!!!

Return to “Mortal Kombat 9 (2011)”