Mortal Kombat DVD's & Blu-Ray's - Less Bones, More Meat

EpicJason9000
Mortal
Side: Darkness

Mortal Kombat DVD's & Blu-Ray's - Less Bones, More Meat

Post by EpicJason9000 »

Mortal Kombat has definitely given us some interesting movies & TV shows during the 90's. some I think aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be (especially if you compare them to the abomination that is Federation Of Martial Arts). however, there's one thing that I'm getting sick & tired of that I must address to every single MK fan: the Bare Bones Problem.

specifically, every single time the 2 movies gets re-released, it's always bare bones. the last time they came out on Blu-Ray, the only thing that they offered was The Journey Begins. this just comes across as lazy. much like the recent release of the original Pokémon films, they really needed to give the fans a lot more than a visual upgrade and nothing else (even though there is even more problems with that release, which the problems can be pointed directly at Viz Media). this is where I come in. the following bonus features are things that I want to see in the next DVD/Blu-Ray release of the 2 films. on a side note, I do want to see Defenders Of The Realm get a standard DVD release similar to Conquest since I would like to see it get an official release for completionists and for fans to own a small (& hilariously bad) part of MK history. with that being said, let's continue.

MORTAL KOMBAT THE MOVIE

the most desired part of owning the 1st MK movie is the behind the scenes features. whether they use the feature from The Journey Begins, the TBS special, or everything else in between, I want to see this type of stuff released with the MK movie. especially since this type of stuff can be found all over YouTube pretty easily if you know where to look. if the fans can post this type of content on YouTube, then there's no reason and no excuse why New Line Cinema / Warner Brothers / & Threshold Entertainment can't add it to a DVD / Blu-Ray release. one really cool feature to add to that is how they created the animatronics for Goro. they could add a history of MK video, they could add a Behind MK3 feature (since MK The Movie came out during the Year Of Mortal Kombat event in 1995, which was the height of the biggest MK promotion in history), they could add interviews with the cast & crew, trailers & commercials, promotional videos, 20 years later video with the cast & crew, the Juke Joint Jezebel music video by KMFDM, a look at the soundtrack including Techno Syndrome, and many more.

even after 20 + years later, Mortal Kombat The Movie is still the best live action video game adaptation ever made.

(what it needs)
: Behind The Scenes Features
: Creating The Effects For Goro
: Interviews W/ The Cast & Crew
: Into Outworld - The Making Of Mortal Kombat 3
: The History Of Mortal Kombat Video
: Trailers & Commercials
: Bloopers & Outtakes
: Deleted Scenes
: KMFDM's Juke Joint Jezebel Music Video
: Making The Soundtrack
: 20 Years Later Feature
: Steelbook Case
: & Etc

MORTAL KOMBAT ANNIHILATION

while many people tend to hate this movie, I actually liked it. now a days, I still like it, but mostly as a hilariously bad film. like I said, there's one thing that is even worse that makes Annihilation, DOTR, & TJB looks far better in comparison. but, I digress. while a lot of the same type of special features listed above should be carried over here as well, the one thing that would make buying this movie worth buying is the deleted ending featuring Shinnok & Quan Chi. while it was shot, it has never been shown to the public. in actuality, who doesn't want to see that? I would.

there's also some deleted scenes and dropped fights that I would love to see just to understand why they were dropped. plus, if those deleted fight scenes could be fixed up along with the deleted ending, this could make a very interesting special edition that just might make the movie slightly better than before. much like the release of Halloween 6 Producer's Cut & Superman II Donner Cut, a special edition of Mortal Kombat Annihilation would be very interesting to see and as a result would make picking up MK Annihilation worth buying. unlike before where all we got was a trailer, concept art, and....um.......that's it. I may not hate MK Annihilation as much as everyone else, I do think that they need to offer the fans a whole lot more bonus content to potentially make the film a tad bit better. and, as I've said before, could make this film worth buying on DVD & Blu-Ray again.

(what it needs)
: Special Edition - Including Restored Deleted Scenes & The Deleted Ending
: Optional Theatrical Version
: Deleted Scenes & The Infamous Deleted Ending
: Behind The Scenes Features
: Interview W/ The Cast & Crew
: Trailers & Commercials
: Bloopers & Outtakes
: Promotional Videos
: Concept Art
: Music Videos (If Any Exists)
: Steelbook Case
: & Many More

please comment bellow and let me know if you folks agree with this topic & what you would like to see as bonus content if the films were released once again. also, if you love to see this all happen, please pass this onto Ed Boon, New Line Cinema, Warner Brothers, and/or anyone/everyone else who would be interested in seeing these films get this kind of treatment. hopefully we don't have to see any more lame, boring, overdone, & lazy bare bones releases that I'm sick & tired of seeing.

thanks for reading, and as always, have yourselves a kick ass day.

Roy Arkon
God
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: Mortal Kombat DVD's & Blu-Ray's - Less Bones, More Meat

Post by Roy Arkon »

I'm not sure if all of those features should be added to the DVD's, some of them like "making the soundtrack" or "trailers and commercials" don't seem necesary to me. But some of them like bloopers, interviews with the cast and deleted scenes would indeed be welcomed additions to them. I also don't think that "Defenders of the Realm" should get a stand alone DVD, but I do think it can be added as a bonus feature to any of the other films on DVD.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

@Roy Atkins

I agree and disagree with you. while the music video thing may be a bit much, I do think that these films deserve more than just the bare bones release and most of the special features I added. also, I actually think that DOTR deserves a standard DVD release. my point is to address that the 2 films specifically needs a more proper Blu-ray treatment than just the film and a trailer. I wanted to address this because these films have been re-released far too many times, and it's always the same bare bones release. they need to offer a lot more than just the film in order for people of any interest to keep buying them.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

EpicJason9000 wrote:@Roy Atkins

I agree and disagree with you. while the music video thing may be a bit much, I do think that these films deserve more than just the bare bones release and most of the special features I added. also, I actually think that DOTR deserves a standard DVD release. my point is to address that the 2 films specifically needs a more proper Blu-ray treatment than just the film and a trailer. I wanted to address this because these films have been re-released far too many times, and it's always the same bare bones release. they need to offer a lot more than just the film in order for people of any interest to keep buying them.
That is of course if WB would feel like those movies should be re-released again. If they would, then those extra features should be there, at least some of them. As for DOTR, I really can't see many people buying a stand alone DVD of it, as that series, as well as the 2nd movie, aren't as popular and excepted as the first one. I can see a stand alone DVD for Conquest however, it got really strong ratings back in the day.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

@Roy Atkins

yes, but you see it's not entirely WB's call. sure some may hate DOTR & Annihilation, but even you can admit that there's perfectly good reasons to release them. add the special features for Annihilation like the deleted ending and so on, and it actually adds something to it that's worth buying. I even said that if they restored some of the deleted footage and put in the deleted ending, it would be worth buying much like Halloween 6 Producer's Cut. as for DOTR, as bad as that shows is, it's not the worst thing ever made even for the MK series. like I said, for completionists and for the history of the MK series, I think it should get a DVD release, in the most standard way possible.

I think all of this can in deed be accomplished if the fans actually asked for it, and I don't think these titles should be ignored just because some fans don't like them. in fact, I'll put it this way. if Batman & Robin can get a special edition treatment, then so can Mortal Kombat Annihilation. and if shows like Sonic The Hedgehog & The Legend Of Zelda cartoons can get a DVD release, then so can MK DOTR.
Last edited by EpicJason9000 on Mon May 30, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

@Roy Atkins

plus, I think that if MK Conquest can get a DVD release, then so can Defenders Of The Realm. especially if it was just given a very standard release. it's been done before with so many other TV series, and for completionists, it's better to do that than nothing at all or some kind of shoehorned in special feature for a movie. if we the fans are going to respect the entire history of the Mortal Kombat franchise, then even the worst titles needs to be recognized and not completely ignored. we can't just cherry pick whatever we like & pretend to erase from history whatever we don't like, that's not respecting the entire history of MK. even fans like myself should accept all aspects of any franchise, both good and bad. remember, there are some people who don't like Conquest, and there are those out there who actually still criticizes the 1st MK movie (cough cough Nostalgia Critic cough cough).

from my personal opinion, DOTR is not as bad as people make it out to be, same with Annihilation and The Journey Begins. I mean, have you seen Federation Of Martial Arts? that's even worse. that's like scraping the bottom of the barrel, or as Al Bundy put it: when I said aim low, I didn't mean for them to excavate the tar pits. FOMA is so bad that it makes all 3 of the previous MK titles I've mentioned look like Citizen Cane by comparison. there's just enough redeemable factors for all 3 titles, as tiny as they are, to keep them from being complete garbage. plus, at least all 3 are entertainingly bad in a so bad it's good kind of way. FOMA is just the absolute worse since it has nothing to redeem it. but hey, that's just my opinion.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

I'm suppose you're right. I will say however that I'm not erasing any part of MK and I don't think other people do (at least most of them), it's just that I think what would most people like to buy and get. But again, you bring some good points.

I do want to ask however: How is it not entirely up to WB? Sure, there are fan demands like yours, but it's not like that other companies can re-release those movies as WB now own the MK series.

Also, did the Nostagic Critic actually hated the first movie? I know that he bashed Annhilation, but the first one? That's just wrong.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

@Roy Atkins

what I mean is that the major studio doesn't always call the shots. Warner Brothers wanted to do a director's cut of Exorcist III at one point, but someone accidentally got rid of the footage. I don't know the full story, but I do hope that they can find the footage and restore them. also, I think that if Warner Brothers can release a special edition of Batman & Robin with a ton of special features, then I'm pretty sure they can do the same for Mortal Kombat Annihilation. adding in a treasure trove of bonus content and giving the fans a special edition of the movie with new footage and the ending would make it worth buying and it would offer a bit more than just the movie and only 1 trailer.

also, NC did bash the 1st movie. he even did a video with just him & Rob, and they didn't like it. keep in mind this is coming from the same guy who said he actually liked X-Men III The Last Stand & Spider-Man 3. he liked the theme song, but hated the movie. even TotalMK did a response video proving him wrong, which is why I tend to agree with Phelous' review a whole lot more. it's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's not a bad movie at all.

one major reason why I think these 2 movies deserves the special edition treatment and why I feel so strongly about adding in most if not all of the special features I listed above is because we never seem to get them in the DVD & Blu-Ray releases and I've seen enough of the bonus content online where it makes me question the legitimacy of these arguments as to why we can't have them released with the movies. even the VHS of The Journey Begins had the behind the scenes features, and that was back in 1995. so, if a VHS tape can do it back in the mid 90's, then why can't they do it now? it just doesn't make any sense.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

EpicJason9000 wrote:@Roy Atkins

what I mean is that the major studio doesn't always call the shots. Warner Brothers wanted to do a director's cut of Exorcist III at one point, but someone accidentally got rid of the footage. I don't know the full story, but I do hope that they can find the footage and restore them. also, I think that if Warner Brothers can release a special edition of Batman & Robin with a ton of special features, then I'm pretty sure they can do the same for Mortal Kombat Annihilation. adding in a treasure trove of bonus content and giving the fans a special edition of the movie with new footage and the ending would make it worth buying and it would offer a bit more than just the movie and only 1 trailer.

also, NC did bash the 1st movie. he even did a video with just him & Rob, and they didn't like it. keep in mind this is coming from the same guy who said he actually liked X-Men III The Last Stand & Spider-Man 3. he liked the theme song, but hated the movie. even TotalMK did a response video proving him wrong, which is why I tend to agree with Phelous' review a whole lot more. it's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's not a bad movie at all.

one major reason why I think these 2 movies deserves the special edition treatment and why I feel so strongly about adding in most if not all of the special features I listed above is because we never seem to get them in the DVD & Blu-Ray releases and I've seen enough of the bonus content online where it makes me question the legitimacy of these arguments as to why we can't have them released with the movies. even the VHS of The Journey Begins had the behind the scenes features, and that was back in 1995. so, if a VHS tape can do it back in the mid 90's, then why can't they do it now? it just doesn't make any sense.
First about the Excorcist 3, even thuough that WB didn't originally distributed that film, they get the rights for it later. So although this scenario might be possible, it is very slim.

I do agree with you about extras for the DVD's for the movies and shows as well as for NC's review for the first MK film.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

thank you. I only brought up Exorcist III since I knew WB had interest in a director's cut and as to why it didn't happen, I don't exactly know because I don't know the full story. but I do know that giving these 2 movies a special edition treatment is long overdue. and as far as I understand special editions, it's more content for your money. the more stuff they offer, the more likely it will be for me to want to buy it, and the longer the quality of the content will last.

Return to “General Discussion”