6-inch CLASSIC MK figures coming from Storm Collectibles

theassassin
Mortal

6-inch CLASSIC MK figures coming from Storm Collectibles

Post by theassassin »

STORM COLLECTIBLES JUST ANNOUNCED 6-INCH CLASSIC MK FIGURES!!!!

Prototypes of Goro, Scorpion and Sub-Zero were shown:

http://news.toyark.com/2015/07/22/storm ... air-170416

While I can instantly see these are not 100% accurate to the original designs (which is a shame), I am still beyond excited about this as it's one of my top dream action figure lines ever. I'm also quite pleased Mezco aren't the ones doing it, after seeing their fairly lacklustre efforts on the MK X line, both in terms of lack of commitment/depth of character selection and mediocre quality of the actual product.

I do wish Storm Collectibles had stayed 100% accurate to the original designs and actors for these. But I guess it was always gonna be optomistic to expect Netherrealm to pay the original actors to use their likenesses. So I guess part of the stylizing is for that reason.

I'd say Goro looks the worst of the three, which is surprising considering the original puppet still exists at netherrealm studios and they wouldn't have to dodge anyone's likeness. But perhaps they'd have to pay the original sculptor or something, I dunno.

Again though - MORTAL KOMBAT CLASSIC FIGURES!!! FINALLY!!!

Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: 6-inch CLASSIC MK figures coming from Storm Collectibles

Post by Roy Arkon »

Saw the figures and they look awesome, I saw the Mezco ones and they look good too.
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
theassassin
Mortal

Post by theassassin »

Just looking at the Storm Collectibles figures in more detail, it seems to me like the Sub-Zero/Scorpion sculpt is like a combination of MK1 and MK2.

Take the black hood for example, on the figure it's not quite as loose as MK1 style but not quite as tight as MK2 style. And while the facemasks displayed on the figures clearly are MK2 portrait-images based, the alternate facemasks at the figures feet look more like the MK1 and the in-game MK2 look style. Also the kickpads/kneepads look more MK2, but the sash/belt looks more MK1. Hmmm...

Although initially I was disappointed these weren't 100% accurate to a specific game, I'm now beginning to really like the combined style. And something I didn't notice before - I LOVE that they have a chunky look to them! It really works for the characters, even though the original actors weren't overly muscular.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

theassassin wrote:Just looking at the Storm Collectibles figures in more detail, it seems to me like the Sub-Zero/Scorpion sculpt is like a combination of MK1 and MK2.

Take the black hood for example, on the figure it's not quite as loose as MK1 style but not quite as tight as MK2 style. And while the facemasks displayed on the figures clearly are MK2 portrait-images based, the alternate facemasks at the figures feet look more like the MK1 and the in-game MK2 look style. Also the kickpads/kneepads look more MK2, but the sash/belt looks more MK1. Hmmm...

Although initially I was disappointed these weren't 100% accurate to a specific game, I'm now beginning to really like the combined style. And something I didn't notice before - I LOVE that they have a chunky look to them! It really works for the characters, even though the original actors weren't overly muscular.
I see what you mean, and yes it looks great too. NRS already did a similier for ninja klassic costumes for MK9, they look exactly like their MK1 version, except that the sash and belt parts of them look more like MK2's. Regradless they were awesome and I always chose that costume when I've played online with Reptile in MK9, although the MK9 regular costumes look good too.
theassassin
Mortal

Post by theassassin »

New photos from New York Comic Con!!

I am seriously in love with these!! FINALLY some high-quality 6-inch-scale CLASSIC MK figures!!

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

SOURCE: http://news.toyark.com/2015/10/08/nycc- ... les-177912

Great to see Goro in proper articulated form. The new head (snarling) looks awesome too, I like that a lot better than the serious one, though it's nice to have the choice.

I notice the alternate "cloth-style" masks for Sub-Zero and Scorpion aren't displayed here (but were shown previously). I hope that doesn't mean they aren't being included anymore. But then Scorpion's spear accessory (which again was shown previously) is also missing from the new display and I can't see them not including that. Plus they're showing two Goro heads here so it wouldn't make sense for him to have 2 heads and the ninjas not have 2 masks.

Shame they didn't show any new figures but as long as the line is moving forward I'm happy.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

theassassin wrote:New photos from New York Comic Con!!

I am seriously in love with these!! FINALLY some high-quality 6-inch-scale CLASSIC MK figures!!

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

SOURCE: http://news.toyark.com/2015/10/08/nycc- ... les-177912

Great to see Goro in proper articulated form. The new head (snarling) looks awesome too, I like that a lot better than the serious one, though it's nice to have the choice.

I notice the alternate "cloth-style" masks for Sub-Zero and Scorpion aren't displayed here (but were shown previously). I hope that doesn't mean they aren't being included anymore. But then Scorpion's spear accessory (which again was shown previously) is also missing from the new display and I can't see them not including that. Plus they're showing two Goro heads here so it wouldn't make sense for him to have 2 heads and the ninjas not have 2 masks.

Shame they didn't show any new figures but as long as the line is moving forward I'm happy.
Well they didn't show an alternate face for Goro in the original pics, I don't think they forgoted about the cloth-maaks for the ninjas.

Also, I've found out just now that the square-like sash and belts for the ninjas were square-like for both MK1 and MK2, it's just that the the sqaures were not that visable from long range of sight, but you can see it with this pic of Daniel Pesina as Scorpion. I guess that means that the outfits for MK1 ninjas in MK9 were accurate after all (sorry, couldn't find a bigger pic, but you can still see the sqaures for Scorpion for this outfit).

As for the figuers, they are still looking awesome regardless, I would love to see them in person.
CooperInChains
Mortal
PSN: Hushbubby
XBox Live: ElmoGaveMeAIDS

Post by CooperInChains »

If i wasn't poor af i would buy the shit out of these.
dank memes and all that, reddit: ieatpandas443

Eventually everyone runs out of time
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

here's my question: why is it always Sub-Zero & Scorpion? seriously, how many times must they release the same exact characters over, and over, and over, and over, and over again before we finally start to get sick of it? why not release some of the other classic characters the way they looked from the original games instead of their MK9 quote un quote "classic" apperance? like Kabal, Sindel, MKII and/or UMK3 Kitana, Milenna, & Jade, Motaro, Kintaro, Rain, Ermac, Noob Saibot, Reiko, Fujin, MK4 Shinnok, MK4 Quan Chi, Chameleon & Khameleon, or even the original 3 cyborgs? my god, why don't we ever get any decent 6-8 inch version of Cyrax, Sektor, & Cyber Smoke? I've been waiting for them to get released for far too long, and no the Jazwares versions don't count. reason being that they were still the same Hasbro GI Joe sized versions, and their toys are well known for being cheap in quality. the paint job on most of their MK figures were rather embarrassing while the joints in some of their toys, especially the 3 cyborgs they released, were pretty bad. as far as I know, Toy Island is the only one who did anything with Cyrax & Sektor (but not Cyber Smoke for some reason) that didn't feel cheap.

why not do a Deception & Armageddon version of these 3 characters? why not make a Noob-Smoke 2 pack? why not have Mezco Toyz (who has currently been doing MKX figures) to make MKX figures based on Tremor, Tanya, MK9 to story mode Rain, Ermac, or even Triborg? why not make a 4 figure set based on the 2 Kombat Packs? why not have a 3 pack set based on Triborg? how come we can keep getting action figures based on Goro, but never Kintaro or Motaro? why must it always be Scorpion & Sub-Zero? this is the kind of thing that Hasbro get's away with far too often in releasing Darth Vader as an action figure to death. the biggest problem when it comes to toy companies is that here you have a popular franchise with a large library of characters they can chose from to make toys out of, and yet the only characters they seem to want to make over and over again are the most iconic characters? talk about wasted potential.

how cool would it of been to buy modern day action figures based on the 2 MK movies and the 2 MK tv shows? while they tend to vary in quality (even though none of them are as bad as Federation of Martial Arts, not 1), it would be very cool, different, and unique for toy collectors and MK fans to own an action figure of one of the characters from the movies & tv shows. who wouldn't want an action figure version of Christopher Lambert as Lord Rayden, or Linden Ashby as Johnny Cage? you can even do a playset of the pit from the final Liu Kang Vs Shang Tsung fight of the 1st movie. even Cyrax & Smoke from MK Annihilation would look cool as action figures. I can't be the only one who would love to see this happen. you can make plenty of Mortal Kombat action figures, costumes, & accessories, that isn't Sub-Zero & Scorpion for the one trillionth time.

also, why is it that every single time a toy company makes MK action figures, they start off making the more iconic characters, but then stops making toys when they plan to make action figures of the more interesting & fan favorite characters? am I the only one who ever notices that pattern? Hasbro makes the first ever MK action figures, they pull the plug. Toy Island takes over, they pull the plug. Infinite Concepts makes a few MK action figures, they pull the plug. when Palisades makes a few MK action figures, they pull the plug. one company plans to make an action figure of Cyber Smoke, they pull the plug. when Jazwares announced an action of Kintaro, they pull the plug. just when Mezco Toyz releases the 2nd wave of MKX action figures, they pull the plug (I assume, I could be wrong). and now we have yet another company stepping in, and if history has taught me anything, it wont be long until they announce a cool action figure of someone who isn't Subby & Scorpy, and then they pull the plug too. every single time they make MK action figures, it's always the same characters. and when they make a few announcements of making toys from some of the fan favorites, then the license get's pulled until the next company takes over. rinse & repeat. and the first characters they tend to make toys out of is always either Sub-Zero &/or Scor...pion......egh......enough with the Sub-Zero & Scorpion action figures! seriously, give the other characters a chance guys. like I said, they have plenty of other characters they can chose from who can make them plenty of money and many of them actually deserves a decent action figure.

here's an idea that no one ever had, why not release costumes and helmet accessories based on the cyborgs from MK? who wouldn't want to buy one of the cyborg helmets & armor pieces without investing in a vast amount of money and without the costume looking & feeling cheap?
Last edited by EpicJason9000 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:21 am, edited 10 times in total.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

sorry if my previous comment is rather long, I had a lot to say. and, to be honest, I'm glad I did it. this kind of thing has been bothering me for a very long time. it's rather disappointing & kind of irritating to keep having these toy companies make more & more action figures of Sub-Zero & Scorpion instead of characters that hasn't gotten their fair share. especially since Cyber Smoke is one of those action figures I've been waiting for the most for over 2 decades. it's kind of funny & pathetically sad at the same time when you stop & think about it. 24 years since Mortal Kombat has been around, over 10+ mainstream games in the franchise, and tons of new, interesting, better, and more amazing characters to work with in which some characters in particular the fans have been asking & pleading for to get action figures made for quite sometime. in most cases, it's been far too long and kind of ridiculous that they still haven't been made. some of which resorted into getting custom figures made due to the sheer disappointment that they wont see their favorite character to be made as toys, yet again. hell, it took Ultimate Source this long to finally start making Killer Instinct action figures (which is about damn time and long overdue if you ask me), even though in the 90's, Playmates acted rather quickly to make some sweet & memorable action figures made based on the characters from Primal Rage. and we've seen toys made from Marvel Vs Capcom 2 get made before without any hesitation. sometimes companies make toys for video games in the 90's that were even that popular, yet they were still able to make toys out of them anyway. and yet after all these years, instead of making characters that haven't gotten their chance yet, instead of focusing their attention on some of the more unique characters, and instead of giving some of the more patient fans what they keep asking for over & over again, what do we get? Sub-Zero & Scorpion........again........(long sigh).
theassassin
Mortal

Post by theassassin »

New images of the revised Scorpion and Sub-Zero figures:

http://news.toyark.com/2016/05/24/storm ... ges-205181

http://news.toyark.com/2016/05/26/morta ... les-205471

Pretty sure the only change from last time is the added tied string from the sash, which is accurate to the original designs, so I like it.

Really amazing figures, I can't wait to get them and I really hope Storm Collectables is able to do lots more classic characters.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

theassassin wrote:New images of the revised Scorpion and Sub-Zero figures:

http://news.toyark.com/2016/05/24/storm ... ges-205181

http://news.toyark.com/2016/05/26/morta ... les-205471

Pretty sure the only change from last time is the added tied string from the sash, which is accurate to the original designs, so I like it.

Really amazing figures, I can't wait to get them and I really hope Storm Collectables is able to do lots more classic characters.
Oh wow those figures look amazing! I would actually love to get either one of them.

And to Epic Jason:
The reason that we got Scorpion and Sub-Zero in every game as well as for figures is simply becasue they are the most popular characters. Back in the day, Liu Kang was supposed to be the main character because of how the story was billed, but Scorpion and Sub-Zero got more popularity and now they take that spot, and it's true even today. I do understand that you and some other people would love to get more obscure characters but they have to use the characters the most people like. As for the figures, considering that Scorpion is my second favorite character of all time only behind Reptile, I have no issue at all with those figures and even if it wasn't the case for, I would totally understand where they're coming from. And it's not like that there no figures and statues for other characters. Just not to long ago Pop Culture Shock made Statues for Kotal Kahn, Kintaro and Quan Chi. And there were made statues for Reptile, Rain, Ermac, Mileena etc. in the past, it's not like there are no statues for those characters at all.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

@Roy Arkin

that maybe true, but it's the same issue I have with all merchandise. the more popular the character, the most likely they are exploited for all merchandise that comes out. yes I'm sure we get statues for certain characters, but we rarely get proper action figures for these characters that aren't the main 2. and after over 20 years, I don't think that is a legitimate excuse that people can keep making, mainly because it's done too often. characters like Kintaro, Cyber Smoke, Rain, Ermac, and even Tremor aren't going to get action figures based on them if all we keep getting is action figures based on Sub-Zero & Scorpion over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. at some point, the fans should be honest about the fact that we see merchandises based on these 2 character way too much.

every once in a while is fine, but not if it's done too often. the only time in recent years that we got action figures based on other characters were from Jazwares, and they are of poor quality. we've never gotten a proper 8 inch action figure of Cyber Smoke or any of the 3 classic cyborgs from MK3. Toy Island made action figures based on MK Trilogy, and instead of Scorpion & Sub-Zero being the most valuable, the hardest and most profitable tends to be figures of Cyrax, Shao Kahn, even very rare versions of 10 inch toys based on Kitana and Sektor. also, if you stop & think about it for a moment, a character as popular and as well known as Kitana rarely gets action figures based on her. sure it has been done, but not as often as you think. you always see masks based on Sub-Zero & Scorpion and sometimes Reptile, but never of the other ninja characters. you never see a toy sword based on Kabal's hook blades, you never see any proper helmets made of Shao Kahn, you never see any helmets based on Cyrax, Sektor, & Smoke, you never see any other character get a proper action figure or a costume/cosplay outfit and/or accessory made since for some odd reason, it's has to always be either Sub-Zero and/or Scorpion. yes, these characters do get statues made. but statues aren't action figures, and statues can get pretty expensive. this has been a trend ever since the 90's with the original Hasbro MK action figures. plus, the secondary characters are usually the hardest to find while the most popular characters are left in the bargain bin. let that sink in for a moment.
Roy Arkon
God

Post by Roy Arkon »

EpicJason9000 wrote:@Roy Arkin

that maybe true, but it's the same issue I have with all merchandise. the more popular the character, the most likely they are exploited for all merchandise that comes out. yes I'm sure we get statues for certain characters, but we rarely get proper action figures for these characters that aren't the main 2. and after over 20 years, I don't think that is a legitimate excuse that people can keep making, mainly because it's done too often. characters like Kintaro, Cyber Smoke, Rain, Ermac, and even Tremor aren't going to get action figures based on them if all we keep getting is action figures based on Sub-Zero & Scorpion over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. at some point, the fans should be honest about the fact that we see merchandises based on these 2 character way too much.

every once in a while is fine, but not if it's done too often. the only time in recent years that we got action figures based on other characters were from Jazwares, and they are of poor quality. we've never gotten a proper 8 inch action figure of Cyber Smoke or any of the 3 classic cyborgs from MK3. Toy Island made action figures based on MK Trilogy, and instead of Scorpion & Sub-Zero being the most valuable, the hardest and most profitable tends to be figures of Cyrax, Shao Kahn, even very rare versions of 10 inch toys based on Kitana and Sektor. also, if you stop & think about it for a moment, a character as popular and as well known as Kitana rarely gets action figures based on her. sure it has been done, but not as often as you think. you always see masks based on Sub-Zero & Scorpion and sometimes Reptile, but never of the other ninja characters. you never see a toy sword based on Kabal's hook blades, you never see any proper helmets made of Shao Kahn, you never see any helmets based on Cyrax, Sektor, & Smoke, you never see any other character get a proper action figure or a costume/cosplay outfit and/or accessory made since for some odd reason, it's has to always be either Sub-Zero and/or Scorpion. yes, these characters do get statues made. but statues aren't action figures, and statues can get pretty expensive. this has been a trend ever since the 90's with the original Hasbro MK action figures. plus, the secondary characters are usually the hardest to find while the most popular characters are left in the bargain bin. let that sink in for a moment.
They need to be honest? So are you saying that everyone is getting sick of them and they just don't admit that? Just because that you in particular don't like it that doesn't mean others legitimally are dishonest about it and don't like it as well.

Look, I understand that are people like who prefer the lesser known characters of a franchise and want to get them, but aside from the fact that they are exist and some of them are legitimally well done, not everyone is into a series as you or other people are, or that are people like you are really into the series and still prefer the poster boys of a franchise, and those people would rather get these characters because that's what they like. So most people get the product that they want and the cretaors get their money. You can't please everyone, but you can please most people. Again, I'm also really into MK and Scorpion is my 2nd favorite character ever. I would always prefer Reptile status and figures, but if you would let me choose between a Scorpion and a Kabal figure/statue, I would've pick the Scorpion one any day of the week. Nothing against Kabal, I just love Scorpion much more.

Also, I've checked some of the toys from Jazwares that you've mentioned and some of them look really awsome. Did you see their figures for male ninjas (Reptile, Scorpion, Ermac) and the Cyborgs (Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor)? Those figures look awesome and very well done.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

@Roy Atkins

no, what I mean is that most fans are not honest about when they see the same products on store shelves over and over again, and they lash out at anyone who actually does have a problem with it. it's not that I don't like the characters, I just think they get far too much attention and they take up 98% of all the merchandise. I'm not expecting all fans to be perfectly honest, but I do at least expect them to admit when a character is overused too much. and as far as being a fan is concerned, these products tend to be geared towards people who either are fans of the franchise or have interest in it. it's fine if you like Scorpion, but that doesn't mean that every single piece of merchandise has to be based on him every single time. Mortal Kombat has been around for 24 years, and the cast has vastly expanded. so, after all that time, don't you think that these toy companies can offer to the fans more than just Sub-Zero & Scorpion merchandise all the time? is that really too hard to ask?

also, the Jazwares figures you mentioned, they're not built very well. sure they look good on whatever website you found them on, but look deeper. the joints tend to be loose, the paint on a lot of them seem lazy, and they're built with cheap plastic. I actually had that box set with the 3 cyborgs, and the arm came out with very little effort. trust me, they're not as great as the pictures make them out to be.
EpicJason9000
Mortal

Post by EpicJason9000 »

@Roy Atkins

it's not just Mortal Kombat I criticize this for, it's any franchise who overuses their more popular characters. Star Wars has done it for far too long and I always use that series a primary example of overusing the more popular characters & vehicles. so many times they release Luke Skywalker & Darth Vader, and too often have I seen them either on sale and/or placed in bargain bins while the more obscure characters and/or the secondary characters that most people don't care for end up being the hardest to find and end up being the most valuable. look at Kenner Jurassic Park toys from the 90's for example. the most valuable & hardest to find toy isn't the T-Rex nor the Velociraptor, it's the Carnotaurus. characters like Mario tend to be easy to find yet an older figure of Samus Aran who hasn't been made too often as action figures, until now, are more expensive & difficult to find especially in the original box.

Mortal Kombat is no exception. from the way I see it, the more iconic the character is, and the more merchandises they make of them, the less valuable they tend to be. this is why an action figure of Scorpion from Hasbro is less valuable than the action figure of Cyrax from Toy Island. my major issue with this is that we have a franchise filled with so many new characters that has been introduced over a specific period of time, and for some reason, they never seem to take advantage of using them to sell merchandises. even if some find any of those characters better than the main 2 ninjas. every single time I keep wishing for some of the better toy companies to make action figures of characters I've been waiting to see for a very long time, they still continue to keep giving the fans the same exact characters yet again. this is why I'd rather see action figures based on Killer Instinct because it hasn't been done for a very long time, and thank god it's finally happened.

ever since I was a kid, I've been wanting a 7-8 inch version of Cyber Smoke. to this day, it has never happened. I would of thought that Mezco would make a series 3 with Tremor or even Triborg, but nope. yet another toy company, and once again, it's the same exact 2 characters. aren't people going to get sick & tired of seeing Sub-Zero & Scorpion all the time? especially now that their bitter rivalry is officially over and are now allies. I think it's fair to say at this point that it's about time for these toy companies to at least give us the other characters that has never been given their fair chance to be action figures.

Return to “General Discussion”