Tournament worthy games

Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Tournament worthy games

Post by Roy Arkon »

I got a few questions for you guys, I looked for that question and couldn't find so I'm sorry in advance:

I do realize why every game between MK:DA and MK VS. DC wasn't consider tournament worthy and only good (or even excellent) for casuals, but I couldn't help but notice that the only pre-MK9 game that was considered good enough for tournamants by the more general fighting game fans was UMK3. What about MK1, MK2 and MK4 (Vanilla, not Gold)? I mean, I've seen comeptitive guides for MK1 and MK4 (the MK1 one is also shown here) and I've seen some people play tournaments for MK2 in the PS3 SOE port of it. But how come is it that only UMK3 was tourney worthy while the other 3 games, despite being good enough, weren't considered tourney worthy games?

Also, if UMK3 was tourney worthy, how come that it never came to EVO before 2010 (and even then it was a side tourney only)? Was the community not big enough?

And finally, how is it that games such as MK:DA weren't tourney worthy becuase of how unbalanced and/or broken they were while other games such as Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 were considered tourney worthy?

No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome
Roy Arkon
God
Side: Darkness
PSN: RoyArkon46

Re: Tournament worthy games

Post by Roy Arkon »

For the sake of updating, I got the answers for my questions: First of, all MK games were tournament worthy, not just MK1 to MK4, but also, the 3D era games and also MK Vs. DC, it's just that the community didn't feel like going into offline tournaments, especially since online play started with MKD. And as for EVO, they never treated MK and NRS games with the proper respect, since the people behind EVO are all biased in favor of Street Fighter and Asian Fighting Games. So nobody should pay attention to them.

Wow, five years in the making. That's some crazy stuff. :lol:
No matter the form, Reptile is always awesome

Return to “General Discussion”