The History of Mortal Kombat - The Facts

ded
God

The History of Mortal Kombat - The Facts

Post by ded »

A lot of people have informed me that Ed Boon continues to critisize my work on The History of Mortal Kombat Series. After his comment on Episode 01, I was advised by a lot of people, including Gambid, to ignore him. However, a few guys have informed me that another tweet from February 04th is critisizing the entire series.

quote: noobde: @_Karried_ No. That thing is RIDDLED with incorrect info. They needed a SERIOUS editor / fact checker. (4. Feb)

This comes from the man in charge of games such as MKA and MKVSDCU, who ignored the opinion of the fans for more than a decade. Midway sold and profitted on the backs of the fans for years. His comments might have been a lot different if the series were released during the MKDA - MKVSDCU era.

Unlike his comments that completely lack explaination, I can back up the series with ... SOLID FACTS.

Episode 01:

- Ed Boon, stated, "Mortal Kombat started out with four people in 1991”. That’s what we call a small team.
- They tried to license Van Dam, but that didn’t’ work. (GamePro Isse 58) However, a versus game where the main characters are 1,2,3…. But the opponents are like 10 or more is called beat 'em up, not a fighting game. For example – Pit Fighter is also beat 'em up.
- The Blocking in (99% of the) fighting games until MK1 was performed by pressing away. MK1 popularized the Block button. An obvious fact that does not need proving.
- They got inspired by Pit Fighter and Street Fighter (GamePro Issue 76 – page 40). Would you think they did not get a lesson from Pit Fighter’s glitchy gameplay?
- The characters: Originally there were going to be only six characters in the game, but the President of Williams told them to expand the roster and they added Sonya for 6 weeks. (Ed Boon: GamePro Issue 76 – Page 40). She adopted the story of a character named Stryker. Confirmed by Boon himself during the years.
- The original story can be seen on Tobias' MK1 artwork shown in the video (Taken from his twitter posts). No need to prove anything here…
- Cage’s similarity to Van Dam in Bloodsport is obvious. His original name was Michael Grimm. Source: Tobias' MK1 artwork
- Liu Kang as the main hero is confirmed in Tobias' MK1 artwork. The story of Yoshitsune Minamoto (which we didn’t go deep) was changed into Liu Kang’s one and we directly focused on Liu Kang’s bio. Even the original first sketch of Liu Kang is bald, but the actor obviously has hair on his head….source: Tobias MK1 artwork
- Kitsune character’s details can be seen on Tobias' MK1 artwork.
- The explained gameplay is a fact on its own and does not need to be explained.
- Revision 2.0 has been dumped for years, and there is no Reptile in it. Which makes 3.0 the revision in which he appeared.
- The ERMACS drama – will be explained in additional post
- We never said MK was the reason ESRB was created. It was one of reasons, alongside other violent games such as Night Trap.
- Home ports having gameplay similar to Revision 3.0 is obvious. Almost every single infinite from that revision worked in the amiga, pc, genesis, sega cd and some – even in the SNES versions of the game. Gameboy, Gamegear and Master System does not count.
- The version in MAT and MKAK is NOT Revision 5.0. One of the specific issues in 4.0 and 4.0 T-Unit is when you beat the game and it shows the actors who portrayed the characters in the game. It shows the p2 version of the character you have used in the game. This is NOT present in revision 5.0 t-unit. I suggest that they could have used also regular 4.0 revision, but this is more than rusty job and to me, sounds like an absurd…

TerryMasters
Mortal

Re: MK History Videos Facts

Post by TerryMasters »

Aw SNAP!

I saw his tweet too, but he might have just been trolling. If I had to guess? I'd say a guy who lived for secrets hates the fact that all this information is out there so the quick solution = deny all of it. lol. You're completely justified in backing up your data, but I'm sure he didn't mean anything personal by it. Ed does stuff like that all the time.

Nevertheless I thought this post was hysterical, lol
Tim Static
Mortal
PSN: Tim_Static
XBox Live: Tim Static

Post by Tim Static »

Yup, ded is spot on, as usual. And you are 100% correct, Mr Masters. :)
ninjagrinder
Mortal

Post by ninjagrinder »

Oh yeah, I told you since the beggining: don't pay attention to that BS, everyone else loves your videos and respects your hardwork, man :)

And I don't think he's trolliing btw
ded
God

Post by ded »

I dont know man... maybe we - the fans (especially the ones like me, you, tim and etc, that play the franchise since the beginning) cannot have an opinion and we must just praise and applaud every new MK game and the 187623813 re-releases of the classic ones... after all, they are "arcade perfect", we pay for that LOL
Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Re: The History of Mortal Kombat - The Facts

Post by Gambid »

ded is taking all this too personal, which only speaks for his great passion for the franchise and the History Series.

Ed Boon's comments are to me a <b>complete disrespect towards all fans</b>. If some "professional" gaming website puts together a poorly made MK video, done for the sake of getting advertising clicks and getting traffic, he will most likely even tweet about it (this has happened with articles and videos in the past).

On the other hand, if this is some attempt on his side to confuse the fans and make them check and make a research themselves, it's a distasteful one.

People have said that bad press is better than no press, so...
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
roboronald10
Master
PSN: KlassicGODZILLA9

Post by roboronald10 »

Why Ed Boon trying to troll us? The videos are actually the only solid MK History that's legit. The MKWiki is ok,but too much non-important stuff. I mean, do I need to know if Cleveland dressed up as Scorpion in the Cleveland Show? No, because I don't even watch or care for that? Put him back in Family Guy! Sorry to go off topic, lol.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

This is what we are all kind of wondering.
I Rule This World!

Darkness-Lord
Apprentice

Post by Darkness-Lord »

i can help with the translation on romanian languadge if u whant :) because i am from romania
Let Mortal Kombat Begin
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Send me an E-Mail and we can discuss it. This is not the right place.
I Rule This World!

Masterski
Mortal

Post by Masterski »

ded, your series are awesome man, very interesting to watch. I can understand how one can feel when he gets non deserved critique on something he put lots of his effort and passion in. Just ignore it and keep going.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

A person feels terrible, when the critique is undeserved. I feel like this every time someone criticize the site for example.
I Rule This World!

Juxtapose13
Apprentice
PSN: Juxtapose1313
XBox Live: Juxtapose13

Post by Juxtapose13 »

I personally really love the series. It's great remembering the classic media and interviews that are featured in it. I'd forgotten so many of those commercials, and a lot of the magazine scans were mags I actually owned.

So much wonderful nostalgia.

It's also been the most detailed "History of Mortal Kombat" series I've found to date.

Shame that you can't have an actual narrator though.
--
Juxtapose13

"Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards." Corporal Hicks, Aliens.
ArcticZero
Mortal
PSN: Hottlixx86

Post by ArcticZero »

I applaud you ded for putting the MK history together (as well as any other contributors)

The extensive amount of history and memories are well put together and a blast to watch,i cannot think of any MK fan who wouldnt enjoy/learn something from one if not all of these videos.

Thanks bunches!! ;)

Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not,and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad..
scorpion24
Mortal

Post by scorpion24 »

Ded I'm sure you have been playing as long as I have. You know ED likes to say one thing then do another. Most MK fans from 1992 know he will change his story in one game pro mag then change it again in another. Your History vids and explanation is always spot on.I wouldn't worry about what Ed Boon says. If he would have listened to us back in the 90's I'm sure MK3 would have been better than what it was.

Return to “General Discussion”