Mortal Kombat Trilogy On Windows 2000/XP Patch

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Mortal Kombat Trilogy On Windows 2000/XP Patch

Post by Gambid »

Our forum member Cubanraul has made a patch for Mortal Kombat Trilogy, that will allow the game to run on Windows 2000 and Windows XP without any problems. This is not the first patch for Windows XP, but it is the first with Windows 2000 compatibility. Below is the list with all of the changes:

- Removes popup saying your graphics hardware should be at 16 bit if you have it set higher
- Fixes sound for Windows 2000 and XP
- Removes attempts to access the hardware directly by the game
- Misc changes to a few of the windows

Visit the Official Webpage of this Mortal Kombat Trilogy patch.

Click here to download the patch. The size of the file is only 946KB.
Attachments
MKTrilogy_XP-2000_Patch_1.1.zip
(946.01 KiB) Downloaded 203 times

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Gambid
Elder God

Re: Mortal Kombat Trilogy On Windows 2000/XP Patch

Post by Gambid »

Cubanraul, can you in the next version make the game run in higher resolution when it's in full-screen mode, why not 1024X768. I think it will be great.
I Rule This World!

cubanraul
Mortal

Post by cubanraul »

I'll see if the resolution is set anywhere in the code, I know the resolution is 320x240 so I can look that up. Good resolution or not it'll look pretty godawful since the sprites look so bad, a higher resolution wouldn't clean it up terribly much. I wish I could add scanlines or some fancy directx rendering but thats way beyond my skills.

EDIT: So far I've only found refrences to just setting the game to fullscreen, no resolution settings. Both for the MGL driver and Windirect. Can't find the directdraw settings yet. Running the game with the /voptions parameter showed that Windirect and VBE are enabled, I don't think they should be since those have to do with the windows 98 drivers. When I try unchecking them they come right back up the next time I play. I'll try to hardcode them as disabled maybe.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

OK. I know it is possible to be done. The second TRainer can do it, but after entering a code, that is very hard to perform.
I Rule This World!

cubanraul
Mortal

Post by cubanraul »

I only have the first trainer so far (those download links seem to dislike me) but I'll check out the second one. If Freez0R would like to join the little "project" I'd be more than happy. I don't know if he knows the actual locations of certain things in the code or not though. Even if I'd have to add stuff instead of just changing the assembly commands I could remove the worthless network code to make enough room for better settings or tweaks that he's come across.
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

here you go
Attachments
MKT_Trainer2.zip
(25.74 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
I Rule This World!

MiNeOuT
God

Post by MiNeOuT »

It works fine now.
cubanraul
Mortal

Post by cubanraul »

The trainer is packed with upx so I couldn't get any clues from it, not that I wouldn't use his ideas without his permission anyway though. Hopefully he'll come shine some light on this resolution switching.
MiNeOuT
God

Post by MiNeOuT »

I'll try to contact him.
cubanraul
Mortal

Post by cubanraul »

I didn't think this was worthy of a new topic so I decided to post it here

I got no idea if anyone has come across this before but here I go:

I compared the data files and sounds from the playstation version of MK Trilogy since I thought I might be able to try using those on the PC one. I found out they are exactly the same, some aren't even renamed and some are (the layout of the files in the PC version just is organized to the taste of the guy that wrote it).

So in the end we got the best sprites short of extracting them from the arcade games and somehow figuring out the format of the bin files for each character and even then the edges would be more jagged than they are now. I think the only thing I can try now is somehow get the engine to support scanlines or the resolution changing as well. The sound is being output at 1/3 of its actual quality so i think i'll start by trying to get it to play them at the same bitrate as the original files.
ded
God

Post by ded »

have any of you try to open mktrilw.exe with text editor. there are some messages in it like "hyper fatality" "tobias wins" "boon wins" "cage loses a big time" and etc. also there is a text for galaga kode but in the entire game there is no kombat kode or cheat to play galaga. can anyone tell for what are they?
Clowny
Grand Master

Post by Clowny »

I once heard a rumor about boon and tobias being secret characters. I think they thought about it but just threw out the idea.
ded
God

Post by ded »

probably they are just a messages with no purpose, like kano transformation in mk2 and cage transformation in mk3 <_<
Siro
Mortal

Post by Siro »

Ah man the link isnt working at the moment any specific problem.i wanna make mktrillogy work on winxp.........hehe....

Siro
rs727

Post by rs727 »

Just stumbled across this site. very nice btw.

With regards to the winXP/2000 patch, its great to see that someone has managed to get this game working for these OS's. Just wondering if it is possible to add the end pieces of music at the end of the round and during the fatality time, as it was in PC MK3 (and all the other games). Its just something thats been bugging me since i've bought it!

Keep up the good work!

Return to “News Articles”