Mortal kombat Trilogy MS-Dos Version (Round Announcements)

Stellerex
Mortal
Side: Light

Mortal kombat Trilogy MS-Dos Version (Round Announcements)

Post by Stellerex »

(Please stick to the topic on this post, I'm looking for answers or a modification (If it even exists) to enable the rest of the sound files.)

To begin this topic I'm stating this is being ran from inside Dosbox. (DOSBox SVN Daum Build)(Taewoong's DosBox) to be specific.

Is there a way to have these announcements work in the MS-Dos Version? I know there was the version 2.1 patch that applies to the windows version only of MKT but there's nothing on the MS-Dos build. The specific announcements I'm describing are the ones Shao Kahn says before the match begins which can be heard on the Arcade versions of MK3/UMK3. He'll start the round by saying "Round 1,2,3". Now I know these sounds pr-exist because if you look into the "Sound/Sound2" files of MKT their right their in plain site. Why these don't work within the game I have no clue. There is also a few other files that aren't enabled such as Shao Kahn saying "I Win" at the end of his match.

The windows release patch that was fixed by "cubanraul" (Patch 2.1) back in 2009 fixed the round announcements but also messed up the music from within the Arenas from CD. It bugs out and doesn't restart the music track but the round announcements actually do work. This project also was abandoned in 2009 and hasn't been worked on ever since.
(This is just an example of the sounds working this topic does not re-guard the windows version of MKT)

Now before I get into the whole "It wont work because this is a bootlegged version" topic. Ive did my research around and even on the PSX version of MKT these round announcements are also disabled. I own the original MKT from the 1996 release on PSX and they also are disabled.

I dont know how to mod the exe within the MS-Dos version to enable these because any attempt Ive tried its given me "Illegal modification error" within MS-Dosbox. Everything else plays fine such as background music/Characters sounds. I have looked inside the exe file with Hex editor and you can clearly see the files are implemented into the game.

I have talked with Taewoong himself on Facebook and hes looking into what may be causing this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time reading this and commenting. Im stumped on the entire thing.
Feel free to share you knowledge with me. Because in the words of Raiden, "There is no knowledge that is not power."
Stellerex
Shane

Stellerex
Mortal

Re: Mortal kombat Trilogy MS-Dos Version (Round Announcement

Post by Stellerex »

Update: Got ahold of Cuban Raul the mad man and awesome patcher who created the 2.1 patch for MKT. Hes back working on a final release for the Windows XP version of MKT to patch it up with fully working music and Round Announcements. As for the MS-Dos Version it will too be perhaps in the works to be fixed by him with Round Announcements. Will keep this thread updated for everyone =)

Mortal Kombat Trilogy Version 2.2 Patch for Windows is now released by him. Link provided below.
http://home.comcast.net/~heavyweights/g ... /index.htm

Stay tuned for info on the Dos Version fix.
Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

These are really good news.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

Hes gonna try to patch up the Dos Version with the same way he did the Windows one and hopefully it works. With the Dos EXE very similar to the Windows I don't see why it wouldn't work. Here's a quote email he said to me earlier. Soon as it becomes available and works I'll post it also. Probably will be linked to the same update site as the 2.2 release he just completed.

"I can make a patcher that searches for the code that breaks the round announcements. Not sure if it would work on the Dos version but it is worth a shot."

I sure hope it works because it would complete the Dos Version by far in its current state.

Again will continue to update this thread for you guys
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

Update: Cuban Raul has made the first Beta Fix for MKT MS-Dos Version. I'm helping him do the testing on it. Full credit is to him for these patches. Progress is coming along great within the Dos Version for Round Announcements, The first beta patch is in testing. Their fixed but issues with the Arena music loading from disk are present, Their being worked on as we speak. Round Announcements do work though. Once this has been fixed I'm gonna see about the Shao Kahn "I Win" sound file also if its workable. More updates to come keep tab on this thread.

Link to Cuban Raul's website again for Windows XP v2.2 patch & Soon MS-Dos patch.
http://home.comcast.net/~heavyweights/g ... /index.htm
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

Another Update: Current issue may be being caused by the Round Announcements is what is actually disabling the music before each match in the first place. Cuban thinks this may be a reason why they disabled them from the beginning. Hes looking at a work around if its possible. Will be posting more updates as the progress continues. If solved Round Announcements for both platforms Windows & MS-Dos MKT will be working with the arena music. May take him alot of tweaking but hopefully it can be done. If they did it for the Arcade versions there has to a way to get it to work on the council versions for the PC.

More updates to follow shortly..
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

Got a few unlisted video's of some testing I'm helping out on within the both Versions of Windows MKT & MS-Dos MKT for Round Announcements. I wont get into too much detail but alot is already mentioned above in the updates I've posted. Toggling seems to be the only "Manual" fix for music to be activated right now on the Windows version. As for the Dos version is pretty stuck atm until Cuban Raul figures out a fix. Just wanted to show with everyone the progress hes doing.

First video is the Windows Version Round Announcements Testing v2.2.
Link Below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGyR7_Iu2XU

Notes To Cuban For Windows Version Of MKT:

"I showed how its patched correctly with a fresh install. You can see how I toggle in "Options>CDMusic On" during the round to get the music to come on again.
If its simple with switching just by clicking the drop down tab and re-clicking it on there might be a way to reactivate the music. Then again I don't have any idea how to mod it or Id help you out.
Also notice on the arena stages that you can uppercut the other character such as the "Subway"/"Soul Chamber" the music automaticly becomes activated and plays pretty well.
If its the first round though that seems to be the issue with the music not starting or if its a fresh round (Without knocking your other opponent up to the next stage)."

Second video is the MS-DOS Version Round Announcements First Testing.
Link Below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yH1Upbgzjk

Notes To Cuban For The MS-Dos Version Of MKT:

"I wish there was a toggle switch like the Windows version on the DOS version. Or I could test it by doing the same thing as I did in the "Options" with Windows MKT.
But you can see clearly the first patch worked well, Round Announcements are working great from #1,2 & 3. All the other music also works in the game. Fatality's and such.
I think if either the Windows version or the DOS version is patched to get the music to work again it shouldn't be too big of a fix to get the other one working also since the script seems to be written identical."

More updates to come.

Keep checking this thread and I'll inform everyone on this thread when the final fix is released. Hope it can be fixed for both versions as I said before. It would make MKT Windows & Dos be pretty close to replicate of the Arcade minus the graphics artwork. Btw if you own the Dos version the Vsync rate can be toned down to 53Hz to have the speed of MK3 just as if you'd do with the PSX emulated version of MKT. (Has to be ran through Dosbox though to do this within the config file)
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

Updates:

Coding is being a tough one still.. Cuban Raul been working like crazy at it. I've been helping out still trying different variations in HEX editor but its a pain. But if there is a will there is a way. Cant stop on it, Its been a mystery this long and must be solved.

Anyone with any information on the HEX keys hidden inside Mortal Kombat Trilogy for Windows & Dos please email them to Cubanraul@gmail.com every bit of information will help.

Also make sure its valid detail information and not just a random question about the other hidden stuff inside the EXE that Boon made to distract people.

We need information re-guarding HEX codes and such and what their meanings are.
Boon made the coding very complex for a reason, But like I said it can be cracked. Just finding the right meanings for each HEX code is the time taker without the dev PC that was used to create MKT for Dos & Windows.

More updates to come.
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

Update:

Things are at a halt again guys. Numerous combinations in HEX editor have been tried and still no luck with both Round Announcements and CD music working. Ed Boon sure did write his programing secret and perfect. Cuban Raul has did the major part of the work after all these years with getting them this far to even read Rounds 1 through 3. Anyone familiar with HEX within UMK3/MK3 or MKT even please contact cubanraul@gmail.com We need to finally put this mystery issue to a finish.

Thanks
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

Huge Update:

Cuban Raul has found a loop in the game that recalls the CD audio to be played with Round Announcements there is alot of testing to still be done but its more work in progress and things are moving again with his project.

As where there is good news there is bad news as well. He inst sure how well this will convert over to the MS-Dos Version of MKT if it will at all.

More updating news on progress to follow.
Keep checking this thread for futher news.
Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

When this is finished, and if it is successful I will post a new update about it, just like before.
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

That will be great, Its sorta buggy at the moment but it works pretty well with music and Round Announcements. I think Cuban Raul is still testing it alot, He hasn't messaged me for a day so I'm assuming hes been probably been busy with work and all. Soon as its all final on his latest release I'll post it here and PM you what all hes said unless he contacts you first.
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

Updates: Cuban Raul is making more awesome progress on the Windows & Dos versions of MKT.

Not gonna give away any details for it to be a big surprise from him to all MKT Windows & Dos lovers just saying to keep your eye out for when his releases are finished. Alot of things are in the works and being activated.

Just letting everyone know its still being worked on.

Keep and eye out for the next update.
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

Update: This doesn't pertain to the Dos version but it is an update to the game that Cuban Raul has done.

This is Windows Mortal Kombat Trilogy 2.3 Update.

https://home.comcast.net/~heavyweights/ ... /index.htm

Change Log:
Changes in MK Trilogy 2.3

9/28/12
*Added install with data from PC, Playstation, & Saturn discs
*Fixed CD stage music playback

Update Info:
*Optionally install with data from PC, Playstation, & Saturn discs
*Fixes sound for Windows 2000 and XP
*Fixes Windows 9x only code that causes crashes
*Fixes CD stage music playback
*Fixes round announcements
*Fixes USB joypad support
*Fixes bugs in Joystick dialog box
*Adds Reset option
*Adds skipping of intro corporate logos
*Removes popup saying your graphics hardware should be set lower
*Removes files for DOS and Windows 9X play
*Removes old compatibility fix
*Updates miscellaneous text in the game
*Updates uninstall program
*Cleans up application directory
*Misc changes to a few of the windows

MS-Dos Fix In The Works: There is more work being done on the MS-Dos version and when its been fixed as well and also updated it will be posted here.

You'll hear a new update also posted from Gambid about the update.
This is entirely Cuban Raul's update work. Full credit goes to him for making this awesome update for us all to use and have.

Also Cuban has posted this message.
"Anyone can help out by submitting errors or fixes they find to me (there are bound to be more I missed). My contact information is at the bottom of the page for people that would like to help or just give some feedback."

Cuban Raul's Email
cubanraul@gmail.com
Stellerex
Mortal

Post by Stellerex »

Update: Small bug has been reported for the Windows version of MKT and thanks for the reports that's being received to Cuban.

Its being worked on for what ever bug was discovered. So don't worry another patch will be released but it may take some time. This is words from Cuban Raul himself.

This bug is currently known for the v2.3 release Cuban has did for Windows MKT.

Keep the bug reports coming if there is any. Its much appreciated.

Bugs can be reported to cubanraul@gmail.com

Return to “Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, MK3 and MK Trilogy”