The REAL MK Arcade Kollection

YourMKArcadeSource
Mortal

The REAL MK Arcade Kollection

Post by YourMKArcadeSource »

Hey guys. I am new to the forums and wanted to show everyone the REAL MK Arcade Kollection. I have all 5 MK arcade machines. Check it out...

And some videos I made a while back before I changed the control panel art on the MK1 cab to the original art. Thanks for checking 'em out. Hope you enjoyed. Happy to share!

Anything and everything Mortal Kombat Arcade related... www.youtube.com/user/YourMKArcadeSource
Gsomeer
Warrior

Re: The REAL MK Arcade Kollection

Post by Gsomeer »

Saw your vids on YouTube and they are awesome! Where did you buy these cabinets and how much money did you spend to buy ones?
ded
God

Post by ded »

more than awesome man
Juxtapose13
Apprentice
Side: Light
PSN: Juxtapose1313
XBox Live: Juxtapose13

Post by Juxtapose13 »

@YourMKArcadeSource This is amazing, absolutely amazing. Shame there wasn't the space in the room to place the Mortal Kombat 4 machine beside the others, but also fitting in a way.

A few questions for you, if I may:

1) Where did you buy these cabinets, and how long did it take you to collect them all?

2) What kind of maintenance or restoration did you need to do?

3) What inspired you to collect Mortal Kombat 3's as opposed to just getting Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3?

4) If you unlocked Smoke, Mileena, Ermac, and Classic Sub-Zero, do they "lock" again whenever you shut the machines down?

5) Why would all the cabinets' sound mute during attract mode? Is that a setting you can do enable?

I just bought a house myself and at present it's more space than I need, and setting something up like this would be quite the little dream. In the end though I'll simply be settling for the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection on my Xbox 360.
--
Juxtapose13

"Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards." Corporal Hicks, Aliens.
YourMKArcadeSource
Mortal

Thanks for the kind words.

1) Ebay. I originally built an MK3 from scratch back in 2005. I have a long history with MK that would take too long to explain. I have had all 5 machines TWICE!. All of my original 5 machine collection ended up having to be sold when times got tough a few years back. I now have a high paying government job and after a while (don't remember how long exactly), I have them all again and in much better shape than before. They are all mint condition with new art and control panel overlays, buttons, joysticks, monitor rebuilds, you name it.

I've been in the arcade machine collecting/refurbishing hobby for nearly 10 years. I've collected and restored a Street Fighter 2 World Warrior, Star Wars Trilogy 50" Sit-down Deluxe, Arkanoid (in a Q*Bert cab), Vs. Super Mario Brothers (in a Ms. Pac-Man Cab), a mint condition NBA Jam, mint condition The Simpsons, KI2, The Addams Family Pinball, Star Trek 25th Anniversary Pinball and some others. Most all of my restorations and stuff are on my YouTube channel.

2) On most every machine I have ever gotten, I have had to do a monitor refresh job (tube rejuvenation, cap kit, new flyback, etc). If the monitor is too far gone, I usually replace it, but that can get expensive because most of the new 25" monitors are upwards of $500. All the machines get new buttons, joysticks and control panel art if it needs it. Some cases require new side art, but I can usually repair most imperfections or flaws. If the art is too badly messed up, new art is applied. A good general cleaning and wipe-down is all some machines need.

3) MK3 has always held a special place in my heart. I played it more than any other in the arcade. I was there from day 1 and have more fond memories of it, rather than UMK3. I also didn't feel like the collection would TRULY be complete without it.

4) The machine's game board (PCB) has a CMOS battery just like a PC that stores all the memory. The game will hold the unlocked characters forever until the battery dies. When you play the game in MAME and you get the "CMOS Invalid", that means that there is no info stored for the game yet. You'll notice after you play it, exit out, and start it again, the error is gone because is now has info stored in the CMOS (in MAME's case it's the .ini file.)

5) All the game's PCBs have the option to turn off the attract mode in their respective service menus. They are accessed through switches behind the coin door. In MAME you can access them by pressing F2. I turned them off so they aren't annoying when I have the machines on and not playing them.

If you wanted something like this, you would be looking at $750-$1000 per machine in the shape these are in. If you bought them exactly as you see them in my pics, it would cost you $5000 worst case scenario. You can usually pick up these cabs for much cheaper, but if you need new side art, monitor and other repairs, it can send you over the $1000 mark pretty quickly.

On a side note, the MK3 is actually a converted MK4. I bought an extra MK4 because it was at a good price and thought it would be cheaper to convert it to MK3 than to try an find a mint condition original dedicated MK3 cab. It was hard enough trying to find the one that I put UMK3 in (which is actually a MAME cab...see below...)

The way you see the machines in the pics is how they are currently. If you browse my YouTube vids, you'll see that they have changed quite a bit over the passed couple years. At one point I had a UMK3 cab only and just put a game switcher in it with all the MKs. Basically is was a 5-in-1 UMK3 cab (...see below...)

Anything and everything Mortal Kombat Arcade related... www.youtube.com/user/YourMKArcadeSource
Juxtapose13
Apprentice

Post by Juxtapose13 »

@YourMKArcadeSource Dude, this is amazing, and kudos to you for all the work put into it! I'll also give some of your other vids a look when I have a spare moment.

So in general, how do you repair or replace the artwork, and I take it there are still places that actually sell new replacement joy sticks and buttons?

Doing something like this (of which I have no experience) is a dream and one that will likely remain just that. With the mortgage coming up I need all my spare cash for it, so the current Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection on Xbox LIVE will need to satisfy me.
--
Juxtapose13

Gambid
Elder God
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Post by Gambid »

Great collection. Thanks for sharing it with us :)
I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
YourMKArcadeSource
Mortal

No Problem!
Juxtapose13
Apprentice

Post by Juxtapose13 »

@YourMKArcadeSource Just finished watching the other videos you posted here, and seriously, congrats on the hard work you've put into all this. Truly amazing.
--
Juxtapose13

YourMKArcadeSource
Mortal

Juxtapose13 wrote:@YourMKArcadeSource Just finished watching the other videos you posted here, and seriously, congrats on the hard work you've put into all this. Truly amazing.
Thanks. Appreciate it.
ded
God

Post by ded »

Do you know if any early revisions of mk4 are available somewhere? I doubt the Road Tour revisions will be ever discovered, but some of the earlier revisions were still released to the public, so there might be a chance someone got one of these.
YourMKArcadeSource
Mortal

ded wrote:Do you know if any early revisions of mk4 are available somewhere? I doubt the Road Tour revisions will be ever discovered, but some of the earlier revisions were still released to the public, so there might be a chance someone got one of these.
Revision 1.0 is listed in the newest version of Mame and available for download here...

http://planetemu.net/index.php?section= ... id=1314486

Gunna burn the roms and try them out on one my MK4 boards when I get home in July. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Gsomeer
Warrior

Post by Gsomeer »

Does MAME emulate MK4 roms? I didn't know. But, I guess, it requires very powerful PC.
ded
God

Post by ded »

yeah, i have 1.0 but its from the official revisions. i was looking for Beta Version #2.1, 3, 4, 5 :)
YourMKArcadeSource
Mortal

ded wrote:yeah, i have 1.0 but its from the official revisions. i was looking for Beta Version #2.1, 3, 4, 5 :)
OH, well yeah. I doubt we'll ever seen those. They will probably show up the same time the Wavenet UMK3 does.

Return to “Mortal Kombat: Arcade Kollection”