Mortal Komba: Rebirth To Become A Web Series

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Mortal Komba: Rebirth To Become A Web Series

Post by Gambid »

Bloody Disgusting has reported that the Mortal Kombat: Rebirth short film is going to become a 10-episode Web-Series. Filming should begin next month. From the news:

So much for the proposed Mortal Kombat remake that Warner Bros. Pictures had hoped to get off the ground. Still, fans of the bloody battle are in for a treat as Bloody Disgusting learned that director Kevin Tancharoen - who directed the awesome online short - will return behind the camera for a 10-episode web series dedicated to the popular video game. Penned by Tancharoen, Todd Helbing, and Aaron Helbing, star Michael Jai White leads the cast as "Major Jackson 'Jax' Briggs. Shooting will take place in Vancouver this coming February. Contested expected to be cast are: Shang Tsung, Liu Kang, Sub Zero, Durak, Kabal, Kitana/Mileena and of course Scorpion. No release date is planned, and there's no word on that R-rated remake. The only plot details we could conjure up is that a few Earthlings will fight to save the planet from Shao Kahn and Shang Tsung, two Gods ruling over parallel universes, or something to that effect.

In case you haven't watched the Mortal Kombat: Rebirth short film, here it is:
Click here to see the original article.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster
Sub-Zero
God
Side: Darkness
XBox Live: Korig

Re: Mortal Komba: Rebirth To Become A Web Series

Post by Sub-Zero »

I think this is a good fit for it. I would've hated this to be a feature film shown in theaters. But I'll definitely check out a web series.
mk master 365
Grand Master
PSN: w2gMk

Post by mk master 365 »

at least its not an official mk movie.
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

mk master 365 wrote:at least its not an official mk movie.
When it get released, it will be an official MK Web Series.

But there will probably be a lot of changes.
I Rule This World!

mk master 365
Grand Master
PSN: w2gMk

Post by mk master 365 »

there better be!
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀
Sub-Zero
God

Post by Sub-Zero »

Found out it will be filming in February in Vancouver, Canada. That's where I live! If anyone here can find information out on auditions it would be very much appreciated!
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

May be you can go and grab some spoiler filled pictures from the set :)

Do you want to try for a part?
I Rule This World!

Sub-Zero
God

Post by Sub-Zero »

I would love to try out for a part! And of course I would take some pictures along the way.
ViolaXZ
Mortal

Post by ViolaXZ »

I didn't know that. I love Rebirth very much. Some of my friends hated the fact that all characters looked too much human but I cared less about it. The atmosphere was impressive, it was real MK.
Now I can't wait for this film. I love Liu Kang, Mileena, Kitana, Kabal and Scorpion BUT hope they will include Johnny Cage, Stryker and Sonya Blade as well!!!
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Sonya Blade is already in (the episode with her has already been shot). Jeri Ryan plays the part. More information you can find here: http://www.mksecrets.net/index.php?sect ... entID=4570
I Rule This World!

Sub-Zero™
Mortal

Post by Sub-Zero™ »

The sooner that blasphemy ends the better. I hate the mundane, dull & realistic (BORING) atmosphere, if i want real life id just stare out a window or watch the history channel. Are they trying to mirror the legend of Chun-Li? they smoking too much pot! some people have no taste, they are born tasteless and uncreative, as dull as a door knob. Vomits. Yeah I bet Shao Khan is a mob boss and Kitana and Mileena are prostitutes in that series heh. The only one that will look ok I bet will be Cage cuz hes always lame.

They are just creating their thing and just placing the name Mortal Kombat on it, It happened on the shitty DragonBall Evolution, it happened on Legend of Chun Li and now this "rebirth" of MK? Gimme a break! big names for crap movies. Can't believe anyone who gets exited for that junk heh.

But you know what? whatever floats your boat, if you like it let that hunk of junk consume your soul.

I'm not here to convince anyone that it sucks ballz, if u like it then you were BORN to like it, I cant change you.

PPL are Born not Made.

...Sorry I had some steam to get off me on this matter.
This fight will be your last
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

Relax, no one said that the series will have the atmosphere of rge rebirth short. According to the press release they will explore the origins of the characters of the game.

There is no need to get upset until we know more.
I Rule This World!

Sub-Zero™
Mortal

Post by Sub-Zero™ »

You are right, I should not post on this topic if I only have unsupportive things to say.
This fight will be your last
Gambid
Elder God

Post by Gambid »

This wasn't what I meant. It's just that the Mortal Kombat Community is really good at jumping to conclusions without any real facts.
I Rule This World!

CaveSMajster
Mortal

Post by CaveSMajster »

@sub-zero

I really hate you. You don't get it. It's not meant to be a crappy fanboy's video as the first two shitty movies are (well in my opinion they fail in that too, with shitty choreography, reduced violence, stupid changes to plot), it's meant to stand on it's own, using mortal kombat as a source of inspiration. A bit like Tarantino's kill bill which is a homage to a lot of B-movies and twists them into a new dimension.

In my opinion, mortal kombat cannot be made into a movie directly, what works in game, won't work on screen. You either have the crap that is mk1 mk2:annihilation and the series, or you have the dark gritty twist which is the short movie rebirth (we'll see about series).

you can not compare it to dragon ball, which was not an original twist on the theme, but an attempt to squeeze the characters and the setting into hollywood formula. Here we have something different: taking something from the games and turning it into something new.

i'm looking forward to see good series, not mortal kombat series.

i'm not against the idea of a fanboy's movie altogether, but this is not what the "rebirth" short was trying to be at all. If you were in for that than you obviously can be disappointed, but it's not a basis for discarding the idea completely.

And i don't get all this talk about "realism" - we don't have such illnesses, tournaments like that are very unlikely to be seen anywhere on earth, police does not function like that, and an idea of a "movie star who needed a job and signed as a covert agent" is laughable in real life and so on... it's more of a surrealism. you can't see that outside the window.

another case of a great idea butchered by narrow-minded fanboys.

Return to “News Articles”