Interview With MK: Rebirth's Jax' Michael Jai White

Gambid
Elder God
Side: Light
XBox Live: ArmoredGambid

Interview With MK: Rebirth's Jax' Michael Jai White

Post by Gambid »

Asylum has published an exclusive interview with actor Michael Jai White who played the role of Jackson Briggs in the recently released short Mortal Kombat: Rebirth. In the interview the actor from Spawn talks about his involvement in the first two feature films and in Mortal Kombat: Rebirth and explains how they were going to show Jax's Metal Arms in the short. Definitely a must read material for the fans of the short film. From the interview:
Finally Getting the Chance to Play Jax
I was connected to both previous "Mortal Kombat" films. I was supposed to play Jax, but had to pass because I was doing the Mike Tyson movie and "Spawn." They were shooting at the same time. My chance to finally walk in Jax's shoes in this really felt good. I'd love to do it as a movie.

Reinventing Jax for "Mortal Kombat: Rebirth"
Our natural take on it is to make it gritty and dark. Jax is still a hell of a fighter. He's still a super-badass, but he's just restrained by the letter of the law. We played with some ideas of building that up between him and Scorpion. That you're seeing two very powerful fighters, only Jax's hands are bound by the fact that he's an officer. He can't do what Scorpion can do. We have it pretty fleshed out on how we would take it.

Jax's Metal Arms
Jax still has his metal arms -- we just didn't show it there. We were playing with some ideas when my arm hits the table to have this reverberation effect.

There would be some great fights with Jax. There's so much I haven't had the chance to do. I've probably shown one-eighth of my martial arts ability on screen. I got the chance to do a little bit in "Undisputed II" and "Blood and Bone." But with something like Jax and fighting elite fighters, I'd get the chance to do a lot of things I haven't been able to do in other films. With Jax having his metal arms, I'd use a lot of Wing Chun because it relies heavily on the arms.

Will "Mortal Kombat: Rebirth" Become a Feature Film?
If Hollywood is cool enough to get on board. I think a movie of this type with a hard edge is what people want. I think this a reboot of the game itself. There was this fantasy world that people were used to, but now we're bringing it into another world. Just like how "Batman" was rebooted -- there was the fun, Joel Schumacher "Batman," and then there's the Christopher Nolan one. That same analogy works with "Mortal Kombat: Rebirth."
Click here to read the entire interview at Asylum.

Did you like this update? Then follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Discord.

I Rule This World!

By the unholy darkness that consumes me, I will have the Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat Secrets Founder and Webmaster

Return to “News Articles”